electric supercharger debate ends here

Message text written by INTERNET:bmw@domain.elided
>whole-house fan I installed in my attic is rated at 7000 cfm, and is
powered
by a 1/3 horsepower electric motor. There are a bunch of manufacturers ou=
there who make auxiliary electrically-driven radiator fans, which tend to=

be
rated anywhere from 600 - 1200 cfm, and most of which include a 20 or 30
amp
fuse in the kit. They simply aren't using a lot of power to flow a lot of=

air. Capiche?     =

 =

not that easy.  but your power assessements are valid.

Many of the items that Mr. Kiborti discusses make sense when collectively=

looked at, such as the very significant drop in cfm when pressure is rais=
ed
to the stated .35 psi over ambient, and the stated power gains at the
stipulated pressure, although they seem just a little bit high. (3% makes=

absolute sense when looked at through the SAE Standard J1349 lens, but 4%=

seems high.)

take into account the 1 psi neg. (yes, 1 psi neg) that was measured in th=
air box with no mods, and then the positive .25 to .35 pressure  measured=

after the fan was added and turned on.
after understanding what that might mean to HP , I deceided to dyno it an=
found that the measurements were right where I expected them to be   4 HP=

for the 4 banger and 9 hp for the V8.    I think it was a success.

I personally would like to see *all* the details, but my understanding is=

as
follows:

Both engines showed a significant (over 3%) gain when tested on a Dynojet=
,
with back to back passes made with and without the device. That is to say=
,
each engine was tested with a completely stock intake, and then with the
device installed (or vice versa). Furthermore, this was a more or less
immediate process (same hour).

done 2 of each .  all showing the exact (within a hp ) all the way from
3000 to 6000 rpm.  Ill  fax or send you by email the dyno run from frey
racing if you want to see it. =

Max pressure gain was .35 psi, measured somewhere in the airbox, downstre=
am
from the device, with engine(s) at full throttle at max. rpm. (If this is=

true, Mr. Conforti's objection that airbox measurements are meaningless i=
unfounded.)

there restriction by opening things up too.  there is some major sucking
going on down there , and even with the suto ram air that most people hav=
e,
even at 120mph, it doesnt reduce that air box vaccum.  Go test your car f=
or
your self if you dont believe me.

Of course, the devil is in the details, such as airflow restriction (if t=
he
device was left in place without electrical power for the "before" runs),=

and heat dissipation (if the motor is in the airstream). There may very
well
be many practical problems, as well, such as packaging concerns and
cost/benefit. However, I don't see anything theoretical that makes Mr.
Kiborti's device the equivalent of the perpetual motion machine.<

ir
stream for the before runs.   (very easy to remove and why would I want t=
do that.   It would skew my findings.       also, the motor is only drawi=
ng
400 watts , call it 80% efficient from the manufacuturer data. (high end =
,
rare earth motor) and 100 watts of heat sitting in 500 cfm of air flow,
well you can do the calculation, Im tired of doing them for  Jim,  but i
can tell you it  maybe worth nothing in temp rise.

bottom line is that it works and give a 3-4% hp increase  .     on the dy=
no
and carefully tested and witnessed.  Next , ill video tape the entire
event, and compress the video to MPEG so you can watch it .   the 911 is
next.   4 dyno runs with and without the fan.
should be interesting.

Thank you again for  the " reasonable , non argumentitive"  comments

Mark Kibort
ERAM  electric ram air system

Web page next week Innovations.com   ( not on line yet)

End of bmw-digest V9 #486