<E36 M3> Preventing Front Air Dam Failure

I've read a number of messages from E36 M3 ownere that have had to replace
the air dam under the from of their cars, because it came off.  Mine came
loose the other day, but fortunatly, it only dropped down, but I didn't
loose it.  I've since repaired it and put it back on.  In the process I've
determined why they come loose.  Due to the height of the car, it is very
easy to scrape the bottom of the air dam on curbs when you park.  This
eventually causes the brackets that hold the air dam on the car to break.
In time, air pressure is able to blow it off as you drive down the highway.
 Since its almost impossible to avoid scraping curbs once in awhile, if you
drive an E36 M3, its just a matter of time before your air dam comes loose.
 If you drive an E36 M3, I would suggest you take a look at the front air
dam to see if the brackets are cracking.  To do this, you will need to
remove the two small air dam panels on the left and right side.  The
brackets for the main part of the air dam attach the dam to the frame.  If
they are starting to crack, they can easily be reinforced with metal
brackets.  The cost of the hardware is less than $5., and it takes about 2
hours to do.  I'm guessing the cost of a new air dam is between $100. and
$200. -- well worth the time and money to reinforce the brackets before
they fail.

Let me know if you need help checking the brackets, or reinforcing them.

If you want information on how to make your own cone filter setup, or how
to make an adjustable clutch stop, stop by my web page at
http://www.he.net/~bikepro.  This page is primarily shareware links, but if
you go to "Other BikePro Products"  from the table of contents, you'll find
what you want.

Clint