RE: OIl in struts - cooling

George Phemister - AFN, said:
> I was under the impression that old style inserts required
> oil, whereas gas
> filled didn't, because their internal pressure kept them snug
> in the bores.

I'm totally under the impression it was heat transfer and not
bore slop that dictated an oil bath.  The gas pressurized ones
may be better under high heat conditions than the old timey
Awwwwwl (TX drawl) shocks.

There is a collar and crush washer at the top of the strut insert
that screws into the strut bore to keep the insert in place.
Aftermarket shocks have some cool-assed tools (as opposed to the
monkey wrench you end up using anyway) to tighten their collars.

 - thi v.