Electronic Superchargers

Message text written by INTERNET:Bill_Fernandez@domain.elided

Here is some food for thought, or information from me to you on the
subject.  I'm also planning on using mini ac condensor coils tied into my=

A/C in front of the fan or intake scoop to further compress the air by
cooling it and making it more dense.  This should add an extra pound or t=
wo
of boost.  For this to work in the BMWs you must tie in your gas pedal
switch to kick on the a/c as well, or just simply run the a/c in some oth=
er
fashion.  On the jag it's not a problem since the a/c always runs for fue=
cooling purposes.
<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Cooling the air with the AC is a loosing proposion due to the fact of not=

being  able to drop the temp of air enough.  the power to  drive the ac i=
about 10-15 hp.    and it isnt really cool on a hot day .  lets say 90 do=
wn
to 60 degrees (although some work better)
thats at an air flow of about 80 cfm max.    if you were going to use tha=
same system to cool 400 cfm , i dont know what the temp drop would be, bu=
I  imagine it would be 10 degrees or so.   (just a guess)  10 degress,  i=

think, may give yiou the  10 to 15 hp that it took to run the compressor.=

However, in regards to 1 pound or 2 psi of boost.   temp of air  at 20 or=

30 degrees diff. , isnt a 2 psi deal.    ambient at sea level is
14.7  at  6000 feet it is about 11.7.   thats 3 psi.  I dont think,( and =
have to check my density altitude charts to give you) what temp gives you=

that pressure diff.

put it this way, 3 psi gives a  220 hp engine about 90 hp.  (and the
electric ram air does .35 psi and give a  dynoed 8 hp )     to do this ,
you have to refer to the gas law.      plus, with all the restriction in =
scoop , you would loose density as the air would have a hard time traveli=
ng
thru the condenser, and the duct work.  Ive measured  vaccume in the air
box do to just the intake tubes running to the air /filter box.   I have
measured .5 psi vaccum under WOT at 6000 rpm.    this is a good test see =
if
you are getting any restriction .
Everytime the air has to enter a ram duct, and travel toward the airbox,
there is losses.   a pressure buldge is created at the inlet under speed,=

and there is losses as the ram duct narrows.  Higher pressures created, b=
ut
usually racers use this for brake ducting  so that the pressure is used t=
get the air thru the tube , even if it is at a lower flow.   (with out th=
ram duct, the air entering would not have enough pressure to really get
flow to the rotors and calipers.)  Some people confuse this principal wit=
VENTURI.  where the air is speed up at the neck down are a of a ram duct
and the exit goes to the same diameter on the other side.  The net speed
change is 0, but at the neck, the air can move very fast and drive pressu=
re
devices off the vaccum in that area.   if you dont go back to a large
diameter, the air does not speed up and pressure is built up in front  on=
ly
providing a forced air system at a lower flow rate.

nice idea though, intercoolers for turbos and supechargers have the
headroom , because they can force the air thru all of the obstructions no=

problem.   Dinans turbocharged, 28 psi monster,takes air from the front ,=

routes it thru a massive intercooler ,then it goes all the way to the
passenger area where it is turboed, then travels back to the engine.   28=

PSI  can do anything.  (like the pressure in your tires pumping directly
into your engine!)

mark kibort