RE: Free Michelin Pilots!!

Suzy,

When I took my 95 M3 in for tech inspection in July the BMW dealer
noticed that one tire had this "cosmetic" defect.  It looks scary!
Right above the point where the sidewall meets the tread, the rubber had
split for about three inches.  Although the service bulletin said that
it's purely a cosmetic defect, think about flying around the track with
that cosmetic defect on your front tire!

So, I went to the Michelin dealer (since the driver's school was on the
following day, and the BMW dealer couldn't get the tires that quickly).
Well, the date code on my tires was outside the date code range cited in
the service bulletin (they were earlier than the affected dates), so
Michelin said that they wouldn't replace the tires for free.  (The
service bulletin said that the tires on the same axle will be replaced).
Since my tires had very little life remaining (3-4/32nds), they gave me
a 25% discount on two new tires.  They were still cheaper than Tire
Rack, so I guess that I can't complain.

- -rb