re: TC BAUR <E30>

Evan Arnerich asked:
>I saw and interesting BMW today. It had a converible-looking top (in the
>up position), but rigid side-window frames.It also had Euro-looking
>(small) bumpers and added-on clearance lights/reflectors. There was no
>model designation on the rear, but had "TC BAUR" on the bottom of the
>B-pillar.

Baur Coachbuilders in Stuttgart has produced convertible models for BMW
since the dawn of time.  The E30 Top Cabrio (TC) had a removeable roof
section and a drop down rear window-area convertible top. Roof stored
neatly in trunk, leaving a Targa-style roll bar with the standard frame
around the doors.  This allowed Baur to build the cars on already completed
BMWs, or, in some cases, to order for BMW dealers as a new car order.
Structural strength was actually increased with the Baur conversion and it
passed TUV.  Baur built the 700 cabriolets, as well as 1600 and 2002
cabriolets for BMW under contract.  They were, in the end, the constructor
for most of the M1s and developed the E30 full convertible for BMW but not
the production of such large volume.  Baur also built every Porsche 959 and
also produced most of the custom leather work for Porsche "special wishes"
department.

The "targa" type configuration was also used in the Baur-built 2002 cabrios
from '71 and also the E21 version.

- -Phil Marx