<e30> 325e won't go into 1st or 2nd gear

It seems all the strange sounds my car was making have finally culminated
into something serious.  150 miles into my 210 mile trip this morning it
decided not to let me put it into 1st or 2nd gear.  I started from 3rd and
at the next stop it had no problem going into any gear.  After that, it
was all downhill.  3rd was difficult to select too, later.  I could force
it into all three, but now without quite a bit of coercion.  Once  I had a
gear selected, there was no problem (read: the clutch pedal worked fine).
I finished the last 60 miles of my trip and haven't moved my car since.
However, I have to get it home for thanksgiving, which is another 200 mile
trip.  Is it safe to drive it that far?  Is it safe to drive it at all?
The car in question is an 86 325e with just over 180K on the clock.
I don't even begin to know what any of this means.  This is very very
depressing.  Anyone have any ideas?

alix
*sigh*