<E28/M>'88 M5 rear speaker replacement

I've been looking at replacing my blown rear speakers. My rear deck is from
an M5, so I have the raised speaker grills. I got the grills off and got to
the screws but I discovered component speakers! I found what looks like a 4
1/2 woofer and a tweeter. The paper on the cones is pretty dry and brittle.
I was going to replace what I thought was a 4x6, but it doesn't look like
that will work. Can I remove the whole grill and mount, say, 6x9's directly
into the deck? Or should I replace the components with like speakers? Or
some other option?

TIA

Ray Barber
'83 533i