Notchy shifts while cold

Hi all,

I'm a newbie on the list. About 3 weeks ago I purchased my first BMW, a '95
325i. Since then I've been lurking on the digest and other mailing lists.

I have to say that I just love this car (not like that's a surprise to
anyone). I do have one concern. I'm not sure if it's a problem. It may just
be my lack of experience with manual transmissions.

Lately when the car is cold and I try to shift into gear, the shifter feels
rather "notchy" when switching between gears. The actual shift in gears
happens fairly smoothly (well, as smoothly as my skills allow). After about
5 or so minutes, the shifter slips into position much more smoothly. Does
this sound like a problem? The car has about 4k miles left on the warranty
(and then the extended warranty kicks in). I would rather not bring it in
just to have them tell me there's nothing wrong.

One friend has suggested using one of the Red Line products. He said he
heard on the digest that it might help. Would converting to a BL/SS/ERK help
this as well?

Wes Hsu
95 325i