Stix and Stones

Howdy all,

Well, I posted about a stone-related crack in the windshield of my 328i a
little while ago.  It was suggested (thanks Chip, no pun intended, that's
his name) that my insurance company would pay to have the chip fixed rather
than share the cost of a new windshield with me and my deductible.  I also
read some scary posts about poor quality replacement windshields and poor
installations.  My Allstate agent told me that if your deductible is $500
or less, they will pay to fix the crack w/o charging the co-pay.  Well the
guy came Saturday.  I didn't really see too much of what he did because I
was busy watching my Wolverines kick Penn State's butt, but...
He put a magnifying glass inside the windshield, put some other contraption
outside the windshield and apparantly dried out the crack.  Then we put
some gel (I'm not sure; I was inside the house) on the crack, let it dry,
said something about ultraviolet light, scraped off the extra dried gel
with a razor blade and voila... the half inch crack (vertical and
horizontal) is VIRTUALLY GONE.  There is a little pin dot that you can see
if you look real close.  I had him do the 3-4 year old Camry crack as well.
 It looks almost as good as the BMW windshield (the rest of the car, not so
much).

Anyway, another success story thanks to the BMW Digest.  Also, I remember
someone posting about trying the WalMart DIY kit.  I haven't seen it but I
would be surprised if it worked as well.  The guy charges $50/windshield
and it takes around 30-45 minutes to do.  If anyone in the Chicagoland area
wants this guy's phone number, I'll happily supply it.

BTW, the guy is my brother-in-law and is paying me $20/each for all BMW
referrals, what a deal!  Joke -- no affiliation.

Donn
'328i - favorite new driving song: "I Can See Clearly Now"

Donn York
Treasurer, The Interlake Corporation
(630) 719-7247