E30 316 Carb

I managed to brave the cold this weekend, and fitted a new carb to my 316.
It's the Weber replacement that uses a 32/34 DMTL unit.
The difference is OBVIOUS! Not necessarily more power or anything, it's just
SO much smoother than the Electronically controlled pierburg.

Fitting was a doddle. Took me longer to clean the engine bay before I did
the job! My one problem was being a prat & dropping the screw to clamp the
choke cable! Couldn't find it! :-(

Anyway, one question. What can cause Run-on (dieseling) - I'd thought it was
the high idle speed imposed by the old electronic carb, but the thing still
does it! I've not been able to set the mixture perfectly (I've not got the
right equipment). Could it be running rich that causes it?
Basically, when I turn the engine off, it splutters to a halt, and sometimes
it restarts itself and sounds like a diesel!  I'm worried that it's (or
will) causing serious damage to the engine. Any ideas?

It seems like when I sort one problem out, another comes along!

Thanks!
Adrian
'85 316 + Weber Conversion
Basingstoke, UK