Subject: <E28> PS Fluid

Bill,

I had that problem when I bought my E-28 535.  If you drain the power steering
fluid and replace the filter at the bottom of the tank -clean everything as
you go - and refill with fresh (I used synthetic) Dexron III you may find the
squeel totally eliminated.  I did.
Best regards,

Christopher

  <<I'm getting a squeel from my power steering pump (I think).  The level is
 about as far below the cold-fill line as the distance between the cold-fill
 and hot-fill lines.  Is that low enough to cause the squeel?  I looked in my
 Haynes (can't afford the Bentley yet!) and it said to use Dexron II AT fluid.
 Before I fill my reservoir with it I wanted to check and make sure Haynes was
 right.  Is this the right stuff?  Do all Bimmers use the AT fluid for power
 steering?

 Thanks.  Y'all have been REALLY helpful with all of my questions!

 Bill
 BMWCCA 160195 >>