RE: E30 - 100W H1 bulbs - IMPORTANT **Rob

I wrote:

>    The stock wiring on an E28 (and the E30 is of similar construction) is
>more than sufficient for this level of power - it's been at least a year
and
>no problems.  HOWEVER - the wires, even thought hey have plenty of "reserve
>capacity" for a high load, are running at the upper level of what the stock
>fuses are designed for.  The stock fuses for low and high eams on my car
are
>8amp fuses.  They would last about six hours befor curling up (these are
the
>old-style ceramic fuses with an exposed metal wire).  I replaced them with
>16amp fuses and they are fine.  The E30 has newer-style enclosed plastic
>body fuses that may last longer, but an upgrade couldn't hurt so you don't
>get a surprise blown fuse.

        PLEASE NOTE:  My experience with high-wattage lights should only be
directly related to E28s.  Any other cars, it's your job to decide what is
safe.  A very knowledgable (and very Australian) Digest reader has informed
me that the newer chassis cars (E32, E34, E36) may not have the extra
capacity of the "antique" E28 (pretty damn solid for an antique, Brett!) and
may require relays and seperate wiring to handle higher-wattage bulbs,
especially if other accessories are used simultaneously.

        So, BE CAREFUL.  Check with someone who knows what the heck he's
talking about before upgrading your lights in anything other than an E28
(which is the only kind of BMW I've ever owned - 3 of the them!).

- - Rob