E28 or E34? pro's & con's

I would like to get some opinions from the list about these two fine vehicles.
I currently have an '82 528i (E28) and am trying to decide whether I would
be better to update to an E34 535i or upgrade my current car (I would be
thinking suspension, brakes and installing a 3.5l motor)
Buying an E34 will be a little more expensive but will I end up with a
significantly better car? (I use the car for everyday transport and as many
trackdays as I can make)

Thanks for your collective time, I look foward to your opinions.

Darryl Carthew
Sydney, Australia