Aha! (was: little brown wire)

It all makes sense now.  A while back I posted a question about the
brown wire in the brake pad wear sensor harness.  Chas replies that it
connects to the backing plate on his 6er.

So here's what I think:  The brown wire brings ground to the backing
plate and the disc.  When the wear sensor starts to be worn through,
it may still be a complete circuit for a while.  However, if bare
wires touch the disc under breaking, they'll ground out, switching the
"Brake Lining" light on.  Clever, eh?

  KC Boyce
  '85 325e
  E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.cc.colorado.edu/~k_boyce/