Dealer Crock!

>I have a new M3 and have had to bring it to the dealer three times for
>front end and brake problems. Each time I get the car back there are
>more and more gouges on the rims around the lug nut area and around the
>large BMW logo in the center of the rim.
>The dealer tells me that when removing rims from a car there is always
>some damage.
>Do all of you get damage when a dealer removes a rim?
>bob

Bob,

They are spoon-feeding you this crap.  Wanna know why this happens? They are
using an air impact gun and the impact socket is "bouncing" in the recess
area as the lug backs out and that chips the paint.  These is real easy to
prevent...problem is your dealer's mechanics simply don't give a damn.  How
do you prevent it? Couple of ways:

1) Wrap electrical tape around the 17mm socket used for the lugs. Works like
a charm.

2) Cut a 'sleeve' from a plastic milk jug ('Geeeezzee' tip) and hold the
sleeve with the left hand over the socket while you 'gun it' with the right
hand.  Socket spins inside the sleeve and won't contact the painted area.

3) Also, for chrome or alloy lugs, Griots sells a 17mm socket that has an
aluminum insert (made in Israel).  It won't boogie up the edges of the lug
even with an air gun driving it.

Show this e-mail to your Service Advisor and watch his face.  They still
won't do any of the above but it will still be fun to watch the guy babble a
bit.

Duane Collie
SVR / UUC / Bubba