Re:Warming up engines on cold days

Manav,

It's good to warm up an engine quickly.  To that end, on cold days <40
degrees, I start the engine, let it run for - depending how cold it is - until
I hear the sound of the engine smooth out (15>30 sec) and then drive away.
This gets the engine generating heat and gets it up to operating temperature
ASAP. It does seem quieter on cold mornings with the 5/30 weight though.

Christopher

<<  Hi

 I have a 1997 318i. My manual says that I do not need to warm the engine at
 all on days when the temperature is over 50 degree (Fahrenheit). On cold
 days (below this temperature, you only need to wait 30 seconds).

 Does that sounds right? I thought that warming the engine was also a way to
 lubricate the pistons, which is required whether warm or cold.

 Please let me know.
 Thanks
 Manav Gupta
 (manav.gupta@domain.elided <mailto:manav.gupta@domain.elided> ) >>