RE: <E36> M Contour wheels on a '95 325is

<<<Hey digesters,
I'd like to hear from E36 318, 325, and 328 owners with larger than stock
wheels and tires. In my fist post to the digest earlier this week, I
mentioned that I had just bought and installed a set of '97 M Contour wheels
and stock size Michelin Pilots, all thanks to a local list member. They've
been great so far. I'd like to get some feedback on tire pressure and
alignment settings for spirited street driving. Tire wear is of the utmost
priority, but I'd also like to reduce the somewhat evident but not really
bothersome tramlining to a minimum. It is my understanding that theM3
suspension was changed to help this. Is this true?  What are the
differences, if any? Is there a cheap way to replicate these changes?
Inquiring minds want to know! If this has been discussed to death in the
past, sorry to waste everybody's time, and in that case reply to me
privately.
Thanks,

Tom,
I've swapped out my '96 328is sport suspension with the '97 M3 setup and as
a bonus I eliminated most of the tramlining that I was experiencing even
with my stock 16" wheels/tires.  I personally think that the key is in the
way the front sway bar is attached to the struts instead of lower control
arms.  Some people on the digest feel that it's the caster angle, but I was
driving for a while with M3 sway bars and 328 strut mounts and even then
experienced less tramlining.

Tire pressure is a very personal issue and the best way to set it is to
start with the factory recommended pressure (Look inside your door jamb or
your owner's manual.  You should have a 17" tire size setting listed) and
then slowly increase the pressure in the front tires until you reduce the
understeer to your satisfaction.  Just remember to measure the pressure with
an accurate gauge first thing in the morning before you drive the car.
Driving as little as 2 miles to your gas station will slightly change your
reading.

I'm not sure what you mean by alignment setting for spirited street driving
with wear being the utmost priority.  You simply cannot have an aggressive
alignment setting and reduced tire wear.  It's a compromise.  But if you
keep your camber setting not more than -1.5 deg on the rear you should be
fine with the tire wear.  There is not much you can do as far as the front
camber is concerned, besides perhaps getting an after-market adjustable
strut plates from Turner.  Those are really trick, but unless you plan to do
any track driving, you better blow your money on something else.  I simply
swapped my M3 plates L-R for an additional degree of negative camber.

Good luck!

Rob Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536