Re: turbos, heat, & oil

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Dave Ream wrote:

<snip>
> temperatures be, BUT; remember that the oil not only lubricates the turbo
> bearing, it cools the bearing. The bearing is integrally connected to the
> exhaust turbine of the turbocharger, which gets *very* hot (someone who
> knows numbers, feel free to chime in).

 Hot enough so that you should consider using synthetic oil to keep
the oil from coking near the turbo bearings.  All the synthetics will
put up with lots more heat than normal oil.  Heck, even that TV ad
shows what happens with the oil in the frying pan...

<snip>
> winds up, and let it idle for about 30 seconds before shutting off the
> engine after using the turbo (to let the turbine wind down before the oil
> pressure goes away and to cool the bearing and housing), and you should be
> fine.

 Some semi tractors have timers on the dashboard so you can dial in
how long you want the engine to idle after you leave the truck, just
so the turbo can cool down properly.  I doubt we'll be seeing that
feature in any car soon though...

<snip>
> '88 Saab 900 Turbo
> (I know, it's not a BMW, but hopefully it's replacement will be!)

 Yeah, but unlike most BMWs, the FUN begins at about 2k rpm!  That
alone is worth something. :)

- --
  John Bolhuis  | Since announcing concubine auditions in April,
 bolhuijo       | I have received not a single reply. Foolish females!
  @domain.elided | Do you not realize that I am one of the richest and