<E36> suspension guru?

Hey Digesters,

I went over to our local dealer last night, and a BMW tech buddy of
mine (and fellow CCAer) and I put my car up on the lift to do a
suspension check.  On Thursday nights they're allowed to work on their
own stuff, so it was a real treat for me.

Lots of good news....in spite of the 100K that this car is ready to
click off, everything's still real tight.  The only thing that was
getting close to needing replaced was tie rod ends, and I've already
replaced the lower control arm bushings with the solid offset-type.

We were comparing my front suspension to that of an E36 M3 on the
adjacent lift.

My Bilsteins (for a 325is) have tabs for sway bar links, just like M3
struts.  M3 struts and M-Tech. suapensions mount sway bars to these
tabs, and stock E36 sway bars links mount to lower control arms.

This started making me think that with changing link locations,
springs, and changing top mounts to offset M3 type would serve as a
basic level conversion up front.

Is this logic way off?

Also, the sway bar diameter for a stock E36 (my model is 25mm, 95 M3
(according to ETK) is 22.5mm.  Bigger is better, right?

What's the hot licks for aftermarket upgrades?  27mm?

Thanks guys,

Frank Massaro
BMW CCA Tarheel/ NCC
'92 325is
'83 533i
ISOP/PF2

***VOTE KATHY LYLE FOR BMW CCA TREASURER***