E30 engine surging

I installed a JC chip a few nights ago and the car never ran quite right.
 Seemed to have an idle that would waver between 650 and 1500 rpm.  Was also
very anemic at lower rpm.  I didn't notice any performance gain either.  I
thought it was the chip so I switched back to stock.  Leaving for work the next
morning everything seemed fine.  Must have been the chip.  Nope.  On the way
home it started acting up again.

I'm guessing that there is some sensor which is not working properly.  Any
ideas?  What to check?  It's a hassle to go to the dealer so I'd like to figure
it out.

Thanks in advance!

Ted Arneson

- --