LTW Oilpan M3

>From: "Vadim Dubinsky" <dubinsky@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E36 M3> LTW oil pan

>One way to do that, is to overfill the oil by 0.5-1.0 qt, which is what I've
>been doing so far.  But the better way, correct me if I'm wrong, is to
>replace the oil pan with a LTW one.

Ab-O-LOOT-ley. Dat's why they made it.

>Where's the best place to get one?

PTG in Winchester, VA (tel. 540-722-4061) or Bekkers in Georgia
(www.bekkers.com). I put together a deal for (6) kits at $ 850.00 apiece
over the summer.  Typical price is $ 1,200.00 now.

> Do I need additional items like a gasket?

You can reuse the old one, but I'd go new. In for a penny, in for a pound
and all that. You'll need a tube of oilpan sealer and some misc. fasteners,
too.

>How difficult is the job for a DIY?  I imagine all I have to do is
>drain the oil, unscrew the pan and screw in a replacement.  Right?

Wrong-O. This is a complex job, not to be taken lightly.  Takes the pros
about 3 hours to do on a good day.  You have to (among other things) remove
the alternator, power steering pump, pull out the entire steering rack,
(yikes!) remove the front subframe / engine mounts, support the engine from
above the car and after you get the pan off, install the new GT pump into
the engine - route the various new tubing and such - then put it all back
together.  Goof it up and bye-bye engine.  Maybe leave this one to a pro.

Duane Collie
SVR / UUC / Bubba