E30 shock replacement questions

I just got a set of Bilstein Sport shocks today, and I have a few
questions for those of you who've done suspension work before.

1.  I have all-new hardware for the rear shocks.  New mounts, bump
stops, protective tube, etc.  How do the bump stop and protective tube
fit on the shock?  Turner's website says that the Bilsteins need both
(as I'd also assume...no use blowing seals with dirt on the piston
rod!).  Just playing around tonight, I couldn't get the protective
tube to stay put.  Is there a trick to this?

2.  A friend who has done MacPherson struts before is going to help me
with the front.  Are there any secrets to doing this?  How hard is it
to separate the tie rod & control arm ball joints from the strut?

Any other hints would be much appreciated!  TIA.

    KC Boyce
    '85 325e
    E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.cc.colorado.edu/~k_boyce/