Replacing AFM with a Mass Air Flow Meter

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the air flow meter on their
car with a mass air flow sensor, particularly on an E28 535i.  I have
heard that there are performance gains due to the decreased airflow
resistance of the MAF sensor.  How does this work anyway?  I thought
that a MAF was slower at responding to changes in airflow than
an AFM.  There must be other inputs besides the MAF sensor that these
kits are using to fake the AFM signal to the DME.  Are there any
engine gurus who care to comment on this?

Are these kits worth looking into or are they just a waste of $$$?  Or am
I better off getting a Jim C chip?

Thanks

Brian
88 535i - It was a sad day to put this one away for winter
86 Celebrity - Basic Winter Transport