Smooth Driving

Smooth driving in autox is yet another animal.. Over and over again you =
hear that smooth driving is key in autox as well as track.  Watch a good =
autocrosser like Raphael "Silk" Garces.  It looks very smooth from the =
paddock.
Then get in the car.  I have driven autox courses with 2 national =
champions, Neil Sapp and Mark Daddio(sp?).  (Never drove with Raphael)  It =
is NOT smooth from inside the car!  In fact, it is almost violent -- late =
braking (but still not stabbing the pedal), hard acceleration, etc.  But =
it sure looks smooth from the outside
Lesser autocrossers do not look smooth from the outside. I don't want to =
know what it feels like from the passenger seat.
Its a tricky concept.
Rob
'97 328i

Steele@domain.elided