Re: 1997 318i Performance Upgrades

Hi, Manav, regarding your questions:

>Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 13:43:50 -0600
>From: "Gupta, Manav" <Manav.Gupta@domain.elided>
>Subject: 1997 318i Performance Upgrades
>
>Hi
>
>I have a 1997 318i and was wondering if there was anything that could
>be done for a performance (HP or torque increase) increase?
>
>Also, are there any places that offer performance packages.
>
>Thanks
>Manav Gupta

First, 2 questions:

1.  How fast do you want to go?
2.  How much money do you want to spend?

Your options run from a "simple" software upgrade (I'm not sure who is
doing this for your OBD II 4 cylinder engine right now) all the way to an
engine transplant.  In between are all kinds of external bolt-ons, internal
engine mods, and maybe even a supercharger.  If you go very far down
this "fast" path, you'll also need to improve the suspension, wheels and
tires, and of course, BRAKES, so that you don't kill yourself with all the
new power.  Which, of course, brings up the Drivers School subject
again, which you can do through the BMW CCA (you did join the BMW
Car Club of America, didn't you?).

As for sources, check out the BMW CCA Roundel magazine, or pick up a
Bimmer or European Car magazine and check out the ads.  I don't know
the local Chicago suppliers, but there are lots of places doing mail order
business that are reputable and reliable.  Where you go kind of depends
on your answers to those 2 questions, see above.  Short of having all
these magazines at your disposal, check out Ben Liaw's new Big Hot
Links web page (or whatever he's calling it), at:

 www.bmwlinks.com

Included are links to a bunch of parts suppliers.

There's not much you can't do to your 318i, given enough time and
money.  On the other hand, if you had THAT MUCH money, you probably
would have bought an M3 instead of a 318i, right?   :^)

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid