Buying from Digest members etc.

Alot of postings on this subject lately.  Bottom line, buyer beware, do
some homework and take as many precautions as you can. I bought things from
digest, roundel members and so far no problems.  Here are some things you
might want to do.

1. Call the person at work and home to talk with them and get to know them
better.  Great way to meet other enthusiasts (assuming they are for real)
Is the person a club member? What's the number? Has the person been on the
digest, club member a long time?
2. Exchange faxes with information on where you can be reached and phone
numbers. I prefer business addresses and numbers as well.
3. Is the fax or phone # from reputable companies? Usually if someone is
working for a decent size company they won't disappear overnight!  Call the
company general number, ask for the person and their title, look up the
company in the phone book.  Look up the person in the phone book, do all
numbers match?
4. Draw up simple agreement outlining terms and conditions and get both
parties to sign.  This is in case the deal is legitimate, everyone
understands what was the intended transaction.
5. Send things COD, or at very least get waybill of proof of shipping.
6. If the deal is too good to be true maybe it is?

Glen Chow
BMWCCC, BMWCA