Re: M3 Insurance Rates

Peter Stuhr wrote:

> Rob,
>
> Good god man! Your insurance company is taking you for a ride. I had a
> 328is for about a year and then bought an M3. My semi-annual premium
> with Nationwide only went up $80 for a total of $750. $1,700!!!!!! I
> hope they planned on greasing you up before the festivities!!!! Get a
> new insurance company.

Strong words from someone who is himself dripping from grease.
$750!  Sheesh.  $564 is more like it.  ;^)

You should be careful about comparing insurance rates over the net;
and certainly insulting people for them.  Move to a different city/state,
and you may find that your best rates are with a different company and
are much higher.  You also don't know how many claims or tickets in
the last three years; nor do you know where they have their limits
and deductibles set at.

With all that said, $1700 does seem pretty high -- and the M3 normally
shouldn't raise rates very much over a 328 (for me it was $20 / 6mo.).
Thus, Rob, it may be wise to shop around -- your company may just have
much steeper penalties for the M3 than others.  Also, you may want to
reconsider your deductibles.  For example, it usually doesn't make much
sense to pay an extra $250/6 to have a $200 ded instead of a $1000 ded
(unless you have a claim every two years, in which case that would
explain your $1700 rate ;^).

Cheers,

Brian