Hard cold starts (E36)

Grettings,

Lately I've been noticing that with the change of weather and all my 95
325i is having harsher cold starts.  Sometimes it takes two cranks of
the key to get her going.  She's not stalling or anything I just don't
like cranking her and holding the key until she starts.  Doesn't seem
right to me. (Am I wrong?)
I also recently switched to synthetic oil.  I'm using Mobile 1 10w-30.
Should I go to a thicker grade?  I've read on the digest that going to a
thicker grade slows the cars performance down a bit so I don't really
want to do this, but then again I don't want to have pre-mature engine
wear.  Any suggestions>  TIA!

Manuel Paredes
1995 325i
L.A. Chapt CCA