<E30> strange noises

	First off--Thanks everyone who helped me out earlier about winterizing,
etc.
	New problems seem to have developed tho.  Most notably I'm getting a
really strange noise from *somewhere* in 1st thru 3rd gear. I know that
narrows it down a whole lot, but I really can't tell from where.  It's in
the engine compartment, at the very least.   It's difficult to describe
the sound, but it's kind of like the mechanical whine when the synchro's
are lining up, only much louder, and dependent on engine speed.  It
disappears completely in 4th and 5th gear.  I've put 18K miles on it and
I've never noticed it till the last couple hundred.
	Also, I'm getting a definite rattle when my car is in neutral and
the clutch is *out*.  Has something just loosened itself, or is my clutch
getting ready to go out?
	I'd really appreciate any help--driving my car is kinda scary
right now.  I'm beginning to wish I hadn't installed that new muffler.

Thanks!
Alix Sebesta
'86 325e