Re: Auto Transmission Problems

> The auto transmission in my 85 318I is playing up. Two days ago
> there used to be a thump and vibration when it used to change in 2nd and
> know all it does is "slip" really bad in 1st and 2nd with also a
> vibration. The fluid level is high but it smells slightly burnt. I had
> changed the tranny oil a month ago with mobil dextronIII.  Any ideas?

If you're lucky it's just a clogged filter. This will prevent the
system getting enough oil pressure & cause slip. The lack of oil when it
slips will cause burning.

Remove the oil pan, don't be surprised if the dipstick tube won't
come off. Clean the magnets in the bottom of the oil pan.

The filter is now visible and is held in by three Torx bolts. On mine
one was stripped and is on back order from Germany! The length of the
bolts is important so take note of where each comes from.  You'll need
a new filter, O-ring and oil pan rubber gasket. Buying from someone
other than your dealer will be much cheaper.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!