Re: S-02 tires

Alex -- similar experience to mine.  Here's my data point:

              Yours             Mine
              ================================
Car           E30               '87 911
Before Tires  Mich Pilot HX     Mich XGT-Z
After Tires   S-02              Firestone SZ50

The SZ50 is a similar tire to the S-02 in design, materials, and even built in
the same factory.

I noticed all the same things you did after switching: smoother, quieter ride;
less "perturbable", and much lower steering effort.  But the bottom line is
that traction and steering response is way superior.  Personally in many years
of tire experimentations, I haven't yet found or heard of any Michelin tire
that is worth the extra $$ over a well-researched alternative.

		-Mike

'87 Carrera
'98 E36 323iC (wife's)

> Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 20:18:45 -0500 (EST)
> From: alexchia@domain.elided
> Subject: S-02 tires

> My first impressions are that they are really refined and quiet. Much, much
> better than the Michelin Pilot HX's (195/60x14) that I was using previously.
Except for sharp transverse ridges, the ride is actually smoother and more
comfortable, which probably says more about the Michelins (crap) than the
S-02s. No tramlining either. Now I just have to watch out for accelrated rear
inside tire wear and rotate every couple of thousand miles.

> I am just puzzled that the steering now feels a lot lighter. With the
> bigger footprint, I would have thought that steering weight should increase.
Tire pressures are 31 psi all round and suspension has been aligned and wheels
balanced.