BL/SS Follow-up

>If I read your  post correctly all I have to do is pattern my
>shift lever after the one in the Roadster?  Would that give me
>a short shifter for not much $ If I didn't mind a little harder
>effort?  I just pulled the tranny out of my 85 318i and now would
>be a great time.  Any measurements you could send would be much
>appreciated.  I have a friend who is great with a welder, should
>I be able to fabricate my own?  Any advice will be great.

Ben,

Hopefully, I haven't mislead anyone with my previous post.  Getting a
short shift solution is not quite as easy as simply sticking an M
Roadster lever in your car.  The M Roadster lever fits relatively easily
into the E36 M3 and provides about a 28% reduction without any clearance
problems, however, even in this installation there are many little
nuances/adjustments that need to made to get a proper solution such as
getting the correct bend in the lever (M Roadster lever is straight),
having the proper tools, avoiding damage to the bushing, correcting
angle of selector rod attack with ERK, etc.  When you get into other
models it gets even more complicated as the throw reduction and
clearance with the driveshaft and selector rod vary by model.  Sometimes
you need a Roadster lever, sometimes an E36 M3 lever, and sometimes a Z3
lever... all depends on the model.

This is why Ben decided to offer commercial kits with specific fitment
for each model.  I can't speak for him but it seems he was spending all
his time fielding questions about different solutions, bending levers,
and researching specifics of each different BMW model free of charge for
3,000 plus digest members.  Through 100's of installs and countless
hours of research, he has done the homework for you and packaged a kit
that will fit right the first time and includes all the necessary BMW
factory parts, customized tools, and well detailed instructions to get
the job done right.

Unless you want to go through what some of us original ShifterFest folks
did and swap your lever in and out multiple times, get UUC's kit and
learn from what we all went though.  You'll probably spend a bunch more
than the kit price before your done doing it right yourself.  I know I
have.  I think at this point I've had my lever in and out of my car at
least 5 times.  I've bought 3 Roadster levers ($60 each), tried 2
different bends, ripped a rubber gromment, wrecked a nylon bushing,
etc... you get the picture.

Bottom line is yes, you can put something together yourself and maybe
save a buck or two, however, the more likely scenario is that you'll
spend a lot more time under your car and probably more $$'s before your
satisfied with the result.

Hope this helps,

Calvin Hare
Orlando, FL