Old 4.0 L Engine Problems

So how bad are the engines in the 1994-95 540i cars?  How many of these
engines go bad due to the gasoline?  Does it depend on the state or region
of the US (car is from Tx)?  I know the warranty has been extended to 6
years and 100,000 miles.  The car I'm considering has 47,000 but should I
pass it up due to the sulfur problem on the cylinder walls?  The car can be
had for 6 or 7K below kbb retail.  What experiences have you guys had with
these engines?  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Tomas S. Perez
tsperez@domain.elided