RE: <e28> 88 535i interior dash lights

> Recently my 88 535i had some lights burn out in the dashboard.  They
> affected the three sliding vent switches, which are no longer lighted.
> The fan control knob is no longer lit as well.  I also noticed that when
> my rear defroster switch is pushed to the "on" position it does not
> light, is there a small bulb that can be replaced in the switch or do I
> have to purchase a new switch?  Can someone let me know where these
> light bulbs are and how to replace them.

Shawn,
	Based on my E30 experience, all dash lights are illuminated by
little 1.2W Osram bulbs. These are readily available and always in stock at
your local dealer for under $1 (or check your local RadioShack store). There
are about a dozen of them in different spots in the dashboard (one for
lights on/off switch, two for HVAC, etc) and in the electrical switches (one
per switch). I always keep a few spares to replace the burned out bulbs.
	The HVAC is illuminated by two of these bulbs. One on the temp knob
and the other on the fan speed side. If E28 HVAC panel is anything like that
of E30, you will need to take the plastic face plate off to get to them
(PITA, but double check with your Bentley manual). Can't miss them. These
lights create the back drop lighting behind the sliding knobs.
	The sliding knobs themselves have little fiber optic wires
protruding from the HVAC to illuminate the vertical light strips. These
wires are easily and commonly broken off while removing the knobs to remove
the HVAC face plate. I never bothered to replace those.
	The lights inside the electrical switches are easily replaced by
disassembling the switche (despite what the dealer will tell you offering to
sell a $30 replacement switch). Just take the thing apart with a small flat
head screwdriver and replace the 1.2W bulb.

have fun,
alex

P.S: Instrument cluster illumination bulbs are different, but similarly
inexpensive and available at your dealer.

Alexander Fadeev
Alex.Fadeev@domain.elided
(972)-507-1370 (phone)
(972)-507-1263 (fax)