<E30> switch on door handle

While (attempting to) fix a rattling door window in my '86 euro 325iC, I
noticed that the door handle had some type of switch - possibly a reed
switch - which appeared to be triggered when the handle was pulled up.  Two
thoughts came to mind - it was either a switch to turn on the interior light
before unlocking the door (I think BMW started doing this around '86 in US
cars), or a lock de-icer.  However, my lights do not turn on, nor does the
lock cylinder get warm when I pull the handle up.  If it is a de-icer, I'll
probably leave it since living in Houston I don't think I'll be needing it.
However, the light thing could be handy.  So, what is it for?  If it would
help, I could grab the part number off of the switch.

thanks,
Frank Ciotti
#149906

End of bmw-digest V9 #424