[E34] re: 525i purchase advice

Bill <BnglowBill@domain.elided> wrote:
>Subject: 89 525i
>
>OK, I asked about 525i's about a week ago and got some good information.
>Mostly I was told to look for at least a 91 since it had the VANOS engine.

Nope!  The M50 engine appeared in 1991, which is the 4-valve/cyl head,
hydraulic lifters, etc. but did _not_ get VANOS until '93.  The VANOS
engine is the M50tu, which an evolved version of the M50, and did not
appear in the US until '93.

[...]
>I read on a website today the digital odometers were easy to manipulate.
>True?

Yeah, maybe, but that's not all you'd have to modify to change the mileage.
 If I correctly recall, the instrument cluster has an odometer number, and
the DME has another odometer number, and if either is replaced, they
negotiate to use the higher of the two numbers if there is a difference.
(There was a thread on this topic last year)

>Anyone have a picture of an 89?

If you go to www.tirerack.com they have a neato thing to see what their
different wheels might look like on different cars.  One of the models they
have to choose from is an E34, which is what your '89 525i will look like.
(You can also play around with different colors)

Regards,

- -Knute