CD changer for E36 325

I would like to add a CD changer to my '95 325, but want to try to avoid
paying $600 - $700.  I have heard from many people that Crutchfield is a
great source for car audio equipment because they seem to really do their
homework on compatibility issues.  I visited their store in Harrisonburg,
VA and was told that the Pioneer CDXM30 will work in the E36 with no
problem.  This caught my attention because their price on the changer is
$400!  Has anyone had any experience installing a non-BMW endorsed changer?
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  TIA!

Matt McCabe
'95 325i and loving every mile of it!