Re: <E36> Noise from rear, Strutmount??

> I notice a klunking noise from the right rear when I go over
> a bump in a right turn (like turning into a drive way) .
> Could this be the famous cracked rear strut mounts?
> There are no other symptoms like pulling to the right under
> acceleration. I don't autox or abuse my car other than the
> occasional burn out or high speed sweepers.
> My car is a 97 M3 with 19500 miles. How do I check if the
> strut mount is cracked? Could it be something else? I recall
> reading something about a loose emergency brake cable
> causing a similar noise?

I just recently had my e-brake adjusted - various clunking noises from the
rear suspension.  Tended to happen over small road imperfections, pavement
joints, straight line or turning, didn't make much of a difference.  In any
case, checking for whether it is the e-brake is very easy.  Find the stretch
of road where you know your suspension will clunk.  Before you get there, pull
your e-brake handle sightly, mebbe a click or two.  If it doesn't clunk
anymore, it's the e-brake.

Andrej Dolenc
'97 ///M3
CCA #142510 / NCC