No start

Hi

Let me tell you a little story..

I have had 3 E23, 735i's which have all had similar problems.

On the first car I replaced the ignition switch with a second hand one
and it fixed the problem for about 6 months. I then installed a relay
into the starter circuit to take the load of the switch. MAJOR
MISTAKE!!!

The car started well but finally had to be taken to the mechanic when it
started producing stacks of black smoke.

The mechanic spent a week R & R 'ing just about everything, Cost me
A$1,000 for his labour, but he finally found the culprit.

My $5 relay. Apparently the computer is powered from the starter
circuit, after the voltage is dropped to about 3 volts. My relay was
causing the computer to run at 4 times the intended voltage, hence 4
times the fuel. They must be built well though as it didn't blow up.

To fix my starting problem I ran an additional wire from the ignition
switch to the starter solonoid, and have followed the same procedure for
the following two cars. (I don't mean I put in a relay and paid my
mechanic heaps of money to remove, just that I added in an extra wire. I
may be DownUnder but .....)

No more problems.

Good Luck

Regards from DownUnder