BMW 6 cylinder motor comparison

Hello Everyone,
I am working on a project car, Ultima Sports
(http://www.ultimasports.co.uk), and having owned an M50 motor powered 325i
I would like to know which of the 6'ers is the most tunable. I've been
thinking of everything from the M1 engine (albiet expensive) to a newer M3
engine for my project car. It seems like everyone and their mother love to
tune these engines vs. the V8's and V12's (which I could go with either as
well). I mean people have gotten these 6'ers up over the horsepower of the
V8 and V12. I am not opposed to putting in an engine as old as the M88 or
M88/3 as these seem to be brutally tough. I could even go with the S38
which is somewhat derived from the M88 and M88/3 I am told.  The other
thought is to go with a newer M3 engine. Either way I will still need to
attain all wiring harnesses and ECU for the engine. I would also like to
convert the engine to dry sump possibly if it's not already setup that way.
Thanks!
- -Mack

mnorris@domain.elided
92' BMW 325i (Stroked 2.8L)