Re: <E36> Can you put a 95M3 exhaust on a 96 328is?

<<<I have an opportunity to get a used 95 M3 exhaust and was wondering if it
would fit my 96 328is. I was also wondering what sorts of gains I may see
(performance, sound, etc.). I'm on a super low budget now after picking up
the car so this exhaust swap seems like something feasible for me now. I'm
mainly looking for some performance gains and hopefully a louder, nicer
sound. Any ideas on how much I should be looking to pay for the exhaust?>>>

Mike,

I did the same thing.  I put a virtually brand new '98 M3 exhaust on my '96
328is earlier this year.  IMHO there is no performance gain.  On OBD-II cars
it's harder to get any measurable HP gains from just changing the exhaust.
But, the pipes look so much better and they sound awesome!  I would wait
till you get a nice deal on a '98 or even a '99 M3 exhaust.  Some people
upgrade to BB Tri-Flow or Borla almost as soon as they get the delivery of
the car.  You just have to keep your eyes open and scout the Roundel adds.
Expect to pay around $250 for an almost new exhaust.  Older, '95 M3
exhausts shouldn't cost you more than $150, but the pipe ends are not
polished as nice.  Either way you'll get rid of that annoying vacuum valve
that keeps your exhaust quiet.

The fit is not a problem.  Four bolts and you're done.  It helps to have a
helper but it's basically a one beer job.

PS.  Sorry about the late response, but I didn't see any posts on this
subject.  Just now catching up with the digest.

Rob Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536

End of bmw-digest V9 #410