Re: Passing at driver schools

>I personally believe that allowing passing on different sides at different
>parts of the track is asking for trouble in the novice run groups.

The novice groups and all other groups will have an instructor in the car
to aid the driver in locating the side to execute a pass.  Until the
student demonstrates the ability to deliver passing signals and execute a
pass they won't get signed off to drive solo.

>Doesn't matter what track you're on.

A track often has a passing zone on a straight where one side is much safer
than the other for executing a pass and entering the turn after the
straight.  At Sears Point you have 1 left and 2 rights.  At Laguna Seca you
have 3 lefts and 1 right.

>Even the simple addition of one extra passing zone for just the advanced
groups usually confuses a few students and instructors each school...

I agree with this but have not seen this used at a BMW school on the West
Coast.

> let alone changing the passing side for different sections of the track.

It works well on the West Coast and does not seem confusing to the
students.  The hard part is for the novice students to learn to use their
mirrors and observe when a passing signal should be given.

>But then, we're probably not as smart here in the Midwest as you folks on
the left coast.  ;-)

This could be true.  There are lots of us West coasters that were born and
raised in the Midwest but we were "smart" enough to escape the Midwest with
its cold winters  :-)

I landed in sunny California where the track season shuts down at Christmas
and restarts after New Year's day.  The snow stays in the mountains for the
skiers.

Chuck Quarton