Drivers School

Ted altruistically suggests:

"A mere suggestion: if you can't write it off, don't put it on the
track!"

I respectfully disagree with this statement as it relates to drivers
schools, at least BMW CCA events put on by the Florida chapters that I
have attended.

The whole idea is to teach people better driving skills with the number
one goal that you drive home in the same car you brought in.  Contact
with other cars and off track excursions are rare.  This is not a race
and no points are awarded for the quickest lap.  In fact, our insurance
prohibits the use of any type of timing device during a school.

My point is, don't deny yourself the benefit of doing a drivers school
because of fear of an incident. You will hear all sorts of war stories
on the digest, but my favorite is the number of schools our chapters
have put on without incident.

Passing should not be an issue.  I learned early on that there were few
cars that could keep up with my M3 in the straights, yet my inexperience
in turns meant that other cars were quicker.  I had to back off so that
they could make the pass safely.  My instructor made sure of that. So
watch the Roundel and your chapter newsletter and do as many schools as
you can, its the best money you will ever spend.

Craig Eller
BMW CCA Everglades Chapter
E36 ///M3
RM3DR1