<all>Passing at Driver's Ed

I've been to a few schools here in Florida, all of which
have been PCA schools with the most recent this past weekend
at Sebring.  I don't know where all these passing problems
are coming from - at the beginning of each school I've been
to the Chief Instructor emphasizes the importance of passing
ONLY when given a signal and ONLY to the side the passee
signals you to pass on.  It is solely the responsibility of
the passer to complete the pass safely before the end of the
passing zone.  They also emphasize the importance of backing
off the gas when you throw the pass sign - for both courtesy
and safety reasons.  We're not out there to race, we're
there to learn and have FUN.

Maybe it's a maturity level question - often (NOT always!)
those that are driving Civics, Mustangs, Integras and
Camaros are younger and less inclined to treat the school as
a learning experience rather than a race.  In any case, I've
caught the pass signal more than once and not been able to
or felt comfortable passing someone before the end of the
passing zone.  I'm as rabid as the next driver, but you
gotta know your limits...

- -Pete
'92 325is sharked et al. (and a will to live for the next
driver's ed!)