Garage Doors

As Reed touched on the subject of garage doors (openers), just a few brief
points as this is not specifically BMW related.

Many garages that I've seen have exceptional (10' + ) ceiling height but
are limited by standard garage door tracking.....ie, the tracking goes up
the side of the door and turns into the garage at a height of approx 7'.
I will often upgrade these garage doors to steel or vinyl insulated doors,
retrack the doors with a high lift kit (the door will go up to a 9' height
and turn in) and replace the extension springs (the 2 springs at the side
rails) with a single (engineered by the door manufacturer) torsion spring
at the door header.  Note that extension springs do not work effectively
with high lift doors.

The additional 2' or workable height with the door open is very useful,
especially if you have a lift in the garage.  It also makes for a much
neater installation without all of the long angle iron supports running
from your side rails to the ceiling.  I also upgrade the hardware to
nylocks fasteners and polyurethane rollers.  It is adviseable to check all
door, track and suspension bracket hardware on a semi-annual basis.  SD

Steve D'Gerolamo - The Ultimate Garage
201-262-0412 / steved3@domain.elided / http://www.ultimategarage.com