RE: underground storage tanks

Scott Miller is basically right about this, but the law does NOT require
double wall tanks.  Some states have mandated this on their own, but the
law basically addresses four protocols:  Leak Detection, Overfill
Protection, Spill Prevention, and Corrosion Protection.  Also, the old
tanks do not have to be dug up, they can be lined with an epoxy substance,
or a low voltage impressed current can be applied to the tank/piping
system, much like natural gas pipelines have done for many years.  I'm in
the business, and I'm one of the "little guys" that is pulling my hair out
trying to get all my tanks(over 100) up to standards, and also helping my
dealers do likewise, when many have procrastinated til the last minute.  In
Alabama, the rate of compliance is around 26% right now!  New tanks are a
6-8 weeks backorder item now, and most companies who do the work are booked
solid until after the deadline.

As for just shutting down and waiting until after the deadline, it won't
work.  There will be BIG penalties for non-compliance after 12-22-98.
Also, you can't just shut down, the old tanks have to be "closed" which
means pulling them or filling them with sand or concrete.  A site
assessment of the tank pit must be done, with multiple soil samples
analyzed in a lab(at $50-200 per) and a regestered geologist must do the
paperwork.  A chain of custody must also be documented for the dirt
samples.  Gets rather complicated and expensive, even if the hole is
"clean".  If its "dirty", better hope you are covered by a state trust fund
or insurance policy, because the cost of cleanup can run into six figures,
and sometime over $1 million.

Now, does anybody want to buy an oil company?

Sorry for the WOB

Bill Mitchell
'95 540i/6 sharked, BL/SSed