In-Ground Fuel Storage Tank Conversions <ot>

Kind of off topic (especially outside of the U.S.), but we've discussed it
before, and almost all our Bimmers use gas (obglitory content):

The 10/26/98 Contra Costa (CA) Times ran an Associated Press story
out of Los Angeles about the status of gas station storage tank
conversions.  A 1988 Federal EPA rule mandated a switch to double-wall
tanks at gas stations to reduce leakage of fuel into the ground.  Stations
were given 10 years to complete the task, and the deadline is this coming
December 22.  Effective January 1, 1999, no fuel deliveries may be made
to stations that still have the old single-wall tanks.

Why is this news?  Because, according to something called the
Lundberg Survey, only 52% of California stations, and 49% nationally,
have converted to the new tanks.  Most of the major brand,
company-owned stations have finished conversion.  Many of the
independent stations, or stations that are generally less profitable, have
not converted and will probably just close.  The article didn't mention
whether an extension was likely.  I suppose that it is possible that
stations are waiting for the deadline to close down, then they'll dig up
and convert the tanks and re-open.  That's what all the converted
stations have already done, and what difference does it make if they did
it earlier or will do it later?  Of course, as I recall from an earlier article,
there are only a few companies that do the tank installation work.

The possible result of all this (according to me, the amateur economist,
not the article):  Gas prices may go up a bit, but I suspect probably not
too much.  The fuel companies will still have the same production
capacity as before the deadline.  There will be fewer dealers supplying
the product, but ultimately the same amount of gas will be sold, just
through fewer stations.

If you usually fuel your Bimmer at a station that already switched to the
new tanks, don't worry about a thing.  They'll still be in business, and the
lines shouldn't be too long!  (Memories of the 1974 "gas crisis"...)  If you
usually buy from a station that hasn't converted yet, might as well start
looking for a new supplier before Dec. 22.

Side note:  If the requirement for oxygenated fuels (including, but not
limited to the dreaded MTBE) had not been passed until 1999, there
would be a lot less MTBE leaking into ground water supplies!  (Tim, did I
get that right this time?)

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977