power to manual steering, water pump, trailing arm questions

I am thinking of converting my power steering back to manual.  Is it
safe to remove the reservoir, pump and hoses from engine compartment, or
do they need to stay on for fear of contamination  of the rack's inner
parts?  Anyone know how much horsepower such a procedure conserves?

Also, does anyone know of an easy way to keep the water pump pulley from
moving when you try to turn that big nut that holds the fan?

finally, I am thinking of changing my E30's subframe bushings soon.
While I'm at it, I may swap out the rear trailing arm bushings too.  Can
anyone tell me whther this is a major PITA (a la subframe mount job)?
Is there any article on a website that details it?

Thanks in advance,
Tony

'84 318i.  Currently on blocks, head at a machine shop.