re:Oil Stuff (long but worth it)

There is no difinitive best oil for all conditions but here are my
thoughts/oppinions. I will qualify these by saying I am a mechanical
engineer who has had the chance to study the properties of different oils
in a lab type scenario.... First things first, it is well documented that
90-95% of engine wear occurs on startup/warmup. SAE papers, field tests,
tribology guys all agree. So anything that can be done to alleviate this
is very good for engine life. But before everbody runs out and buys one of
those pre-luber deals remember that a well maintained properly serviced
engine will last a very very long time and then usually die from a
condition other than an oil'd "wear" component type of failure. Exceptions
exist but this is a general statement.

In the lab, synthetic oils would beat the dino oils in an oiled journal
pressure test but the pressure levels were so ungodly high that it was in
the area of plastic flow in the bearing material. If you get to these kind
of pressures in a running engine you will be changing rods and cranks
along with the oil.
The synthetic did really crush the dino oils at elevated temps. If you
have a turbo run the synthetic...
The surprising results of synthetic vs. dino oil came from some cold start
testing. We being young know it all types of engineering students decided
we would look at the starting process in a bit more detail. This is in
Saskatoon Saskatchewan, Canada in January ambient temps in the minus 40's
( F or C when its that cold it just doesn't matter...) The steps are as
follows: walk out to driveway, open door but do not get into vehicle (seat
will crack...) reach down and give accelerator one pump with hand to set
the CHOKE, start engine, make sure heater is on, close door, walk around
front amd unplug block heater,  go back inside house, wait 20 minutes for
interior to warm up. Now most of you wouldn't even dream of doing this to
you /M whatever so don't flame me for that. The important points are as
follows. The engine is "warm" because of the block heater, the choke is
engaged because the air temps are way cold. The warm block keeps the oil
warm enough to pump it is a bit warmer than an unplugged car at lets say
50 degrees F, which all of you guys do. The oil is getting to the journals
and doing its job. The problem is with the choke, (cold start injector..)
synthetic oils have a very scary tendancy to breakdown very quickly when
introduced to gasoline. Performance goes way below that of dino oils very
quickly. This was 7 years ago or so using a very common synthetic oil so
maybe there are some contemporary oils that don't do this.

So the cold start advantage of synthetics is ofset a bit by wetting the
cylinders with gas. We worked with blending synthetic and dino oils with
some pretty good results. I have seen guys shear of the drive pin to the
oil pump by running the wrong viscosity and not being able to pump it

The other job of oil is to carry little pieces of metal, plastic, rubber,
carbon, et.al.  away from the crankcase, and leave them in the filter.
Obvious right.

Oil also plays a larger role in cooling an engine that most people even
think about, right Porshe guys..

So we have oil doing three jobs, I could desertate on the order of
importance of the three but suffice to say that take one away and the
other two will not matter for very long.

Here is my summary. Flame suit is on...

# 1 priority is to change the oil, often. Obscenly often. I rarely go over
2500 miles on a change. My standard interval is 2000 miles. A simple
2,4,6,8 progression on the odometer. This keeps the little wear bits out
of the journals and doesn't let the cold start oil dilution become a
factor. As far a s viscosity selection I use manufacturers recomentations
for all but the last quart of oil. For the last quart I run a light
synthetic. Pick your favourite. I have been playing around with syntec a
bit lately because of its tendency to  be sticky on the cylinder walls. No
results back yet. Viscosity selection is very dependent on internal
clearances and required film thickness...Which the desing engineers know
better than I do... This is for daily driving non turbo applications. Oil
coolers on two, with an oil cooler/warmer on the 4X4 pickup (water to oil
exchanger...works with mentioned block heater). I inherited vehicles with
400K miles on them without the lower ends ever being touched. Learned the
short interval thing from dad and grampa long before going to school.
Grampa used the same stragety on a fleet of farm vehicles dating back to
the 30's. Had tractors with over 20,000 hours on them still running
strong.

And now for the truly scary part. I will take the used oil from my good
cars (M5, 635, ...) and run it in my winter beater of choice (Wagoneer,
Suburu..)..I don't start my /M car when its cold either !. Helps me
justify the short interval expense.

Crazy, but you have to be to live in 40 below....